tiistai 21. tammikuuta 2014

First impressions of Ireland

It's been almost a week since I arrived to Ireland and during this time, I've already noticed that this country is quite different from Finland in all aspects, I've experienced culture shocks (positive ones, though) and I've noticed that I really really like it here. So here are some of the things I've came across here, perhaps even a bit of a comparison between Ireland and Finland. So bare with me, this is gonna be one hell of a long post.

People:

You know what they say about the Irish people being friendly? Well, they're right about that! The people here are so incredibly and genuinely friendly. Finns aren't too talkative, we can come across as rude etc. etc. But here, it's the complete opposite. I've actually been greeted by total strangers on the street and at the grocery store. A thing that small, yet it feels so big for me. We never do that in Finland. Sadly.
And when I was trying to find a travel adaptor for my laptop, I tried on several different stores before eventually finding one. At one store, when I had asked if they had those and the answer was no, their reply was "So sorry love, we don't have them." Another shock for me. Till coming to Ireland, I had always thought that people referring to other people, even though they don't know them as `love´was just a British/Irish cliché, but I guess I was wrong. Even though for a Finn, hearing something like that from a complete stranger, may feel weird or a bit pushy even, I was surprised of how comfortable I was with it. And to be honest, I liked it even, it felt warm and friendly.
Another thing when I tried to find that adaptor was when I went to yet another store that didn't have them, there the cashier asked if I had visited some store (I had) and then he suggested yet another store, and I didn't even have to ask for it separately. And of course he gave me clear directions how to get to get there, when I explained that I don't know my way around the town too well yet. I don't think you'd get that much information from simply asking "Excuse me, do you sell. travel adaptors?"
So yeah, with people like that, it's so easy to feel like home in this country.

Ireland- expensive or cheap?

I'm gonna say, neither. The only good thing with Finland's high as fuck price levels, is that pretty much anywhere you go, you won't be shocked by the price levels. There aren't too many places  that are remarkably more expensive than Finland.
Sure, some things are more expensive here, but only a little. But even those differences are evened out by the products that are cheaper here than in Finland. Fruits and vegetables seem to be cheaper here, especially some more exotic fruits. But then things that are quite cheap in Finland, can be surprisingly a little more expensive in Ireland. Noodles are one example of that. And those are just a few examples of the price levels here.
The thing that surprised me was the amount and size of different stores in Sligo, especially when this town is quite small (less than 20 000 inhabitants) In Finland, if the town is small, usually the amount of stores is quite small and the selections at stores aren't too good. But in Sligo, there is without a doubt the best (and probably the biggest too) grocery store I've ever been to; Tesco. The selections are HUGE, there are at least 5 different kinds of pretty much any product. And the thing that might make the price levels a bit cheaper than in Finland, are Tesco's own cheaper versions of almost all products. Not to mention that the quality of them is really good. Not just some crappy, cheap products. So you can pretty much find anything at Tesco. The only question remains, why the hell can't we have this store in Finland too!

Climate

A lot of people have thought I'm weird for being so excited about the Irish weather, the usual reaction "but it's so grey and rainy there all the time" Sure, it's a little rainy. But compared to Finland, it's so refreshing to be surrounded by so much green in mid-January.So it really doesn't feel all that grey to me. And of course, with no snow nor minus degrees (yet anyway) the climate here is so much better and more tolerable than in Finland for someone who hates the snow and cold. And the days are a few hours longer here, it gets dark a little after 6 pm and it gets light around 8 am. It's not much, but anything for the few extra hours of daylight.
Even though it is rainy and it's "winter" here, the sun still shines quite a lot, compared to Finland. It's nice to see the sun after such a long time, cause sunlight during winter in Finland is so rare.
One thing I've noticed that the weather can change quite quickly. If you go out and at that moment it seems that it's not going to rain, it's still better take an umbrella with you, cause the weather can change really quickly. I learned that after a couple of times walking home from a grocery store without an umbrella, in pouring rain.
Temperature in Sligo is quite pleasant. So far the wind hasn't been too strong or cold, and with 3-9 degrees temperature, even I can say that it feels warm here. Though that might partially be due to the fact that it was about -20 degrees when I left Finland. We'll see if the weather starts to feel colder to me after a few weeks.

Living

I was preparing myself to the fact that regardless of the warmer than Finland climate, the flats in Ireland might be colder than the ones I've gotten used to in Finland. I was right about that. The common areas of my flat, especially in the beginning, were freaking freezing, even though all the radiators were on full power. But now that I've spent time here, it seems that I'm slowly getting used to the chillier room temperature, or then it just really takes a while till the flats start to get warmer. My own room has been nicely warm, though (thank god!), excluding the first cold night.
One interesting thing here are the faucets. Here there are different faucets for cold and hot water. And sometimes it feels like there are only two different water temperatures; cold as a corpse and hotter than hell. But after a while, I've gotten the hang of them. And at least the shower is modern, with hot water coming without having to wait for too long.

On Thursday, I'll meet the other exchange students for the first time. Something I'm really looking forward to. And after that, I'll most likely get to know the town more and will see some sights. But that'll be a whole new story, something I'll tell by the end of this week. So till then, bye!

2 kommenttia:

  1. I love your blog already Sofia. You, a Finn, are getting used to the cold in Ireland...I love the irony of that =). So, good work, keep writing please!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks Sandra! :) I know, it sounds weird. But you haven't been to the flats in Ireland, it really is quite chilly indoors in Ireland. But by now, I've already gotten more or less used to it :)
      I will, don't you worry! I'll try to write at least once a week, if I only have the time :)

      Poista